Don’t know how to open trash folder on Mac? Are you unfamiliar with Trash folder on Mac? Actually Trash is similar to recycle bin in Windows system where all your junk files and application goes and get stored when they are deleted in Mac. It gets temporarily stored in trash unless and until trash folder is emptied. So if you have moved some important files or application on your Mac unintentionally and now want to restore, its possible. We will tell you exactly how to open trash folder on mac
All you have to do is to click on Trash icon in the Dock. This will open a Finder Window which is Trash. Now have a look at the files which are present within.
Click on Trash icon>> Trash Folder Opens>> Displays files it contains
Method 1: How to Retrieve files from Trash by Using Trash Folder
The files or any items which are present in Trash folder can be simply restored by dragging it out on the desktop by dragging it. You can also restore to its default folder from where it had been deleted.
How To Open and View Trash directory in Mac OS X via Terminal
The trash folder actually remains hidden since it begins with .). if you want to open trash folder on Mac OS X you need to first Launch Terminal application as shown in the path below
Applications > Utilities > Terminal. At the terminal prompt, enter these commands: cd ~/.Trash ls
Lets Understand Mechanism of Trash:
Whenever any file is deleted on Mac, it is moved to trash and actually is stored in trash can unless it is not emptied. Mac OS X actually does not delete data but just marks the physical space occupied by the files as free as it awaits to be overwritten by new data. So logically, data on Mac remains intact in trash unless it is emptied. In such cases it is easy to restore trash on Mac.
Many times it is found that users in an attempt to clear out junk files goes on deleting some important files unintentionally. Later they realize its importance and want to restore it back. However not knowing the fact that when a file is moved to the trash, it is not deleted permanently. It can be easily restored provided the trash can is not emptied. Hence it is essential for the users to check trash before emptying it as it might contain some files and folders that have been trashed by mistake. In such case, Mac users can easily restore the trashed file provided they know how to open trash folder on Mac
Do you Know Trashed Data Still Consumes Free Space
Many of the Mac users are unaware of the fact that even the data that has been trashed still continue to consume disk space and make make slower in performance. So even if the files have been moved to trash, the disk space does not get free. So if you want to make the space free, it is necessary to empty the trash folder.
This can be clearly shown as to how trashed file continue to take up space on Mac.
This is how a file uses disk space even after trashed over
Method 2: How to Restore Lost Data on Mac from Time Machine Backup
TimeMachine is inbuilt utility on mac which can be used to backup data on hard drive. However it can be only be used to restore lost data If Mac users have recently taken the backup of it, as such the data can be used to restore the deleted files using Time Machine. Follow the steps to restore data using Time machine
1. Go to the Location where data was saved by default: In case there is a backup from the Time Machine function, it can be easily used to restore the previous copy of deleted file. Open the window. For instance, open “Documents” folder if data or any file is deleted from that folder on Mac.
2. Plug-in Time Machine Drive Now – Keep the external drive in which Time Machine backup is saved connected to the Mac
3. Click on “Time Machine” Menu – Go to Menu bar and Now select “Enter Time Machine”. It will take some time to access the Time Machine drive so wait patiently.
4. Find Backup – Use arrows to navigate between snapshots of the folder or use timeline on the right of screen and go straight to the specified location.
5. Preview File – Now Double click on the files and open to view latest copy of snapshot.
6. Restore – Once the required file is found in the backup, select it and click on “Restore”. It will restore the item to the default location.
Now most important fact which is being revealed here is that even if the trash folder is emptied, it is possible to recover data. Yes you read it right. But how to accomplish this task. Actually the data remains intact but it cannot be accessed and becomes inaccessible for further usage provided some third party Mac data recovery to recover trash utilized. The data which has been lost can be recovered as it has not been deleted but just marked to be reused by Mac OS X. This is where users need to be careful as they should stop saving any new files. If any new file is saved it will overwrite the space utilized by deleted data and then chances for recovery will become almost impossible.
Method 3: How Recover data on Mac Trash by Using Data Recovery Software
|Name of Software||Screenshot||Paid/Free||User’s Rating||Download|
Lazesoft Mac Data Recovery: Free Utility To Recover Trashed Files
Lazesoft Mac Data Recovery is free tool that can be tried to recover data from emptied trash. It can be tried when users are unable to find important data on Mac OS X after emptying the trash folder. This utility can be really tried to retrieve all accidental deleted contents without paying anything. This software is totally free, that’s why you can use it without purchasing. It lies within the System tools and more precisely Backup & Restore. However there is no guarantee whether it will work to restore data as it is freeware as compared to other top rated paid tools in the segment of Mac data recovery.
Lazesoft Data Recovery : Effective in Following Cases of Data Loss on Mac
- recovers accidentally deleted files or emptied Trash
- Logically crashed disk
- Formatted media, disk drive, partitions or dynamic volumes
- Files damaged due to malware
- Data deleted using Shift+Del
- Software crash
- Partition with corrupt file systems
Software Features of Lazesoft Mac Data Recovery
- Easily recover the accidental deletion of files from Trash folder.
- Restores data from empty trash
- Recovers unlimited data on Mac without paying anything, completely free
- compatible with Mac OS 10.9 Mavericks, Mac OS 10.8 Mountain Lion, Mac OS X Lion 10.7, Mac OS X Snow Leopard 10.6, Mac OS 10.5 Leopard and Mac OS Server 10.5 Leopard.
- Supports HFS, HFS+, HFSX, FAT12, FAT16, FAT32, NTFS, NTFS5, EXFAT file system.
Specification of Lazesoft Mac Data Recovery
Operating Systems – Mac OS X 10.5 or later
Memory (RAM) – At least 1GB
Processor – Intel
If you have just emptied the trash or deleted files using command + Shift + delete button on Mac OS resulting in permanent deletion, you need not worry as such files can be easily recovered using Stellar Phoenix Mac data recovery software. It is the best tool in the segment of trash recovery of files such as images, videos, documents, PPT etc.
Working Mechanism of Stellar’s Mac Data Recovery
- It can be used for recovering files from SSD, Bootcamp partition, external hard drive or HFS, HFS+, FAT, EXFAT, NTFS file system on Mac OS.
How To Run Software for recovering Trash files?
- Select the drive on the partition from the left corner
- Now select the option for deleted Recovery from specific volume
- Users can also select and apply filter or run complete scan on the specific drive
- Now Select on settings option for deleted recovery
- you can choose the file format for photos, audio and video that the software will search and scan the entire hard drive and will look for the specific file type.
- Click to initiate scan
- Wait for recovery of deleted files that have been trashed
- Once the scanning is completed, preview of the recovered files will be displayed
- Select the files that was lost after emptying the trash from Mac OS permanently
- Now select the default location where the recovered files are to be restored
#2 Rated Wondershare Data Recovery Mac Software for Trash Recovery
- Recovers data such as images. Audio, video, emails from trash even after emptying it
- It supports recovery of data from trash on Mac OS
- Offers a preview before actually recovering data so that users can go for selective recovery
- It supports Mac OS X (Mac OS X 10.6, 10.7 and 10.8, 10.9, 10.10 Yosemite, 10.10, 10.11 El Capitan, 10.12 Sierra) on iMac, MacBook, Mac Pro etc
How To Use Software
Step1: Select the type of file, Either go for selective file type or all files for recovery
Step 2 : Choose the drive from where the files have been deleted
Step 3: After scanning is completed, preview of the files will be shown, Choose from the list of files to be recovered and click on recover button.
#3 Rated Mac Data Recovery Guru Software To Undelete Trash Files
Mac Data Recovery Guru is an advanced utility to restore trashed files on Mac
Restores data even after the trash has been emptied.
It is compatible with all versions of Mac OS
Recovers data from following
- Disks: Macintosh disks (HFS filesystems, HFS+, HFSX filesystems), Windows disks (NTFS, FAT filesystems), Linux disks (Ext2, Ext3, Ext4
- Digital Cameras: (Kodak, Minolta, Nikon, Canon, Fuji, Olympus, Sigma).
- Mobile Phones: Android, Nokia, Motorola, Palm, Dell, Hewlett-Packard, Samsung, Sanyo, Siemens, Sony Ericsson, Panasonic, Kyocera, Blackberry.
- Miscellaneous devices: USB pen drives / USB flash storage / USB memory sticks, Memory Cards for cameras and portable devices, CD’s/DVD’s, MP3 Players, PlayStations, X-Boxes, Wii’s, Palm devices.
Editor’s Pick: Stellar Mac Data Recovery Can Restore All Trashed Files
|Graphics & Photos||Documents||Audio||Applications||Video||Archive||Text|
|PNG||Adobe PDF||AIFF||Adobe Illustrator (AI)||QuickTime Movie||Zip Archive||RTF|
|GIF||MS Word||M4A & M4P||Apple Scripts||MP4 Files||BZ2 Compresses Tar|
|JPEG||MS PowerPoint||AU||Macromedia Flash|
|Fuji||MP3 Audio||C Source Code|
Quick Steps To Install Stellar Mac Data Recovery On Your Mac OS
Step 1. Download Stellar Mac Data Recovery application on Mac.
Step 2. Double click on Stellar Mac Data Recovery application .DMG File
Step 3. Drag Stellar to your Application folder and then Run